Schuylkill Valley High School
Athletic Activity Code
STUDENT ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE
The athletic/activity program, while an important and integral part of the total school program, is a privilege for Schuylkill Valley students. Through voluntary participation the student gives time, energy and loyalty to the program. He/she also accepts the training rules, regulations and responsibilities which are unique to an athletic/activity program. In order to contribute to the welfare of the group, the student must willingly assume these obligations. The role demands that the individual participant make sacrifices not required of others.
In addition to all student behavioral policies, rules, regulations and codes of the Schuylkill Valley School District, athletic/activity participants are also governed by this Student Athletic/Activity Code. The rules and regulations in this code shall apply to any violations on and off school premises.
1. A student found to be selling, providing, in possession of, consuming or using any quantity of alcohol, narcotics, inhalants or tobacco, whether on or off school property, is in violation of this code. Violation will result in a temporary suspension from the current athletic team and/or activity, dismissal from the current athletic team and/or activity with loss of all awards earned during the current season, or removal from all further athletic/activity programs for up to one year.
2. Any legal infraction or conduct/action by a student that is in violation of the law will result in a temporary suspension from the current athletic team and/or activity, dismissal from the current athletic team and/or activity with loss of all awards earned during the current season, or removal from all further athletic/activity programs for up to one year.
3. A display of unsportsmanlike conduct toward an opponent, official, coach, guest or district personnel, or use of profanity during a practice, contest or activity will result in a temporary suspension from the current athletic team and/or activity, dismissal from the current athletic team and/or activity with loss of all awards earned during the current season, or removal from all further athletic/activity programs for up to one year.
4. Violations of the Schuylkill Valley student conduct policy which require administrative action may be carried over to the athletic program. Any student who receives in-school suspension or out-of-school suspension will not be permitted to take part in any practice or game the day of the suspension
5. The rules and regulations in this code shall apply to any violation, on or off school premises, during the period of participation in any athletic or non-athletic extra-curricular activity.
6. Before any suspension or dismissal provided for under these rules shall take effect, the student shall be verbally advised by the coach, advisor or administrator of the alleged violation. The student will have the opportunity to explain or justify his/her actions.
7. A student must be in the high school by 9:00 AM in order to participate in an athletic or non-athletic extra-curricular practice, contest, performance or activity held on that day. Any exception must be approved by the athletic director or high school principal. Examples of exceptions would include college visitations, doctor’s appointments (with doctor’s note), funerals, etc.
8. An athlete may not quit one sport and participate in another sport after the season has begun without the mutual consent of both coaches. An athlete may not quit one sport and begin organized pre-season preparation for the next season’s sport without the mutual consent of both coaches.
9. If an athlete does not participate in his/her physical education class or fails to change for physical education class, that athlete will not be permitted to take part in any practice or game that day.
10. Students participating in athletic or non-athletic extra-curricular activities are expected to exhibit habits of dress and personal grooming representative of a Schuylkill Valley team or organization. Appropriate and reasonable standards will be established by the coach or advisor of each team or activity and communicated to all participants of the team, club, program or activity. Failure to comply with these standards will disqualify a student from participation until the standards are met.
11. Any student who is academically ineligible will not be permitted to practice, attend or participate in any athletic or non-athletic extra-curricular activity unless the student attends study hall from 2:45 – 3:45 pm that day. Attendance at study hall will allow the student to attend his/her own team’s in-season practice, game (may not play due to PIAA rules), or out-of-season work-out one hour late. The student must present the coach or advisor with a pass from the study hall teacher. Standards for academic eligibility are defined in the Schuylkill Valley School District’s Academic Eligibility Policy.
Note – If a student attends a practice, game or work-out during their period of ineligibility without first attending the study hall, he/she will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from the athletic team, club or musical activity.
12. Additional rules and regulations may be established by the coach or advisor of each sport, club, activity or extra-curricular program and must be approved by the athletic director and/or principal prior to their implementation. Any additional rules and regulations should be in writing and distributed to all students participating in the effected programs.