Schuylkill Valley High School
Wall of Fame Inductees
Inaugural Class of 2013
Justin Eisenhofer – Class of 2013
- 3 time High School silver and 2 time state swimming medalist
- 5 time High School gold and 3 time silver District III swimming medalist
- Summa Cum Laude graduate from West Virginia University with a major in Exercise Physiology
- 2 year team captain of Men’s Swimming at West Virginia University
- Doctor of Physical Therapy degree and board certified in orthopedics; Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- 2012 Masters National Champion in the 100 yd backstroke; silver medalist in the 50 yd and 200 yd backstroke
- Instrumental in opening Mountain River Physical Therapy in Leesport to serve local community and athletes
- Creator and owner of SPEED - the Swimming Revolution
Timothy Faller – Class of 2013
- Contributed to the overall security and stability of our nation serving with honor in the Navy from 1987-present. Stationed numerous places from the Middle East to the Far East
- Deputy and Chief of Staff, U.S. Naval Forces, Japan
- Commissioned U.S. Naval Officer Jan 15, 1988
- Accomplished U.S. Naval Aviator and flight instructor accumulating over 2300 hours and 300 shipboard landings
- Awarded: Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (6 awards), Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2 awards), Combat Action Ribbon
- Original SV High School swim team member
- Active in sports competing in triathlons of all distances
Sherwood “Woody” Goldberg – Class of 2013
- Dickinson College (B.A.); University of Pennsylvania (M.A.); Temple University School of Law (J.D.)
- U.S. Army Colonel; Vietnam War Veteran; Combat Infantryman’s Badge;Legion of Merit, Meritorious Serve Medal; 7 Bronze Stars- 2 for Valor, 5 for Commendation; 3 Army commendation Medals, Ranger Tab and Parachutists Wings.
- Assistant Professor for International Relations and Comparative Politics in the Department of Social Sciences for the U.S. Military Academy at West Point
- Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
- Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor to General Alexander Haigh, 59th US Secretary of State for 30 years.
- Led diplomatic efforts focused on NATO, the Soviet Union, Middle East Peace, US-Asia and US-Latin America relations, the Holy See, efforts to thwart international terrorism and avert the U.K-Argentina Way, crisis management in the White House on the day President Reagan was shot.
- Personal ongoing efforst to strengthen the U.S-China relationship through engagements across the full spectrum o human endeavors including military-military, cultural and educational exchanges and relationships with the leaders of the People’s Republic of China.
- SV High School Student Council President; “Vallette’ 59” Editor; Soccer and Basketball player; Class Salutatorian of 1959
Charles “Skip” Kennedy – Class of 2013
- Served in the United States Navy
- Earned Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Arts from Millersville College, Driver’s Ed Certification from West Chester University, and Master’s Degree in Administration form Scranton University
- Positions held at Schuylkill Valley: Industrial Arts Teacher, Driver Ed Teacher, Attendance Officer and Assistant Principal 1964-1995
- Assistant Wrestling Coach 1964-1968, Head Wrestling Coach 1968-1987, Record: 182-113-4 overall
- Champion Wrestlers coached: 32 Sectional, 2 District, 5 State Medalists with 1 PIAA State Champion, 2 Sectional Team Titles & 1 Berks County Team Title
- Past President of Berks County, District III & PA State Wrestling Coaches Associations
- Inducted into the District III Wrestling Hall of Fame & the Berks County Chapter of the PA State Sports Hall of Fame
- Very Instrumental in raising funds to open the 1st official SV Weight Training Room, named after him in his honor
Kenneth R. Lerch, Sr. – Class of 2013
- Athletic Director at SV High School 1971-1991
- President- Berks County High School Athletic Association- 1976
- Inducted into the Pennsylvania District III Wrestling Hall of Fame- 1995
- Chairman of the SV High School Stadium lights project as well as for School District, School Organizations, and Community groups
- District III Sectional Wrestling Tournament Director- 20 years
- Inducted into the Berks County Wrestling Hall of Fame- 1994
- Involved with Panthers on Parade- Produced and Co-Directed OKLAHOMA, the first Broadway Musical at SV High School in 1996
Ernest A. Mancini – Class of 2013
- Professor Emeritus and Distinguished Research Professor in Geology, University of Alabama
- Research Professor and Endowed Chair in Geology and Geophysics, Texas A&M University
- State Geologist, Oil and Gas Supervisor, and Director of the Geological Survey of Alabama
- University recognition for superior vision in establishing integrative geosciences-engineering research centers
- Recipient of research awards from professional societies and academia for advancing the science of geology and petroleum
- Recognized by geosciences organizations as a Distinguished Educator of university students and industry professionals
- Recipient of numerous service awards from professional societies, academia, and government agencies for outstanding leadership
Brandon Miller – Class of 2013
- Achieved perfect score on the SATs as a student at SV High School
- Named a High School National Merit Finalist
- Selected as a Presidential Scholar from Pennsylvania, the first from Berks County
- Participated in the Reading Symphony Youth Orchestra, named a Youth Soloist as an oboist in 1997 and had the male leading role in Panthers on Parade for four years
- Selected as a member of the USA Today All Star Academic Team, as selection from high schools throughout the U.S.
- Valedictorian of the SV High School Class of 1997
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from Princeton University – won a Thesis prize in Comparative Literature and East Asian Studies
- Named a Rhodes Scholar, selected from 950 applicants from 327 universities, and attended Oxford University studying Chinese
Amy Reuther (Schmidt) – Class of 2013
- Played tennis, basketball, and soccer at SV High School, graduating with high honors in 2002
- Inducted into the Muhlenberg College Hall of Fame in first year of eligibility
- Two- Time All American tennis player at Muhlenberg College
- Recipient of an NCAA Post- Graduate scholarship
- Top women’s tennis player in Muhlenberg College history
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Muhlenberg College with dual major in Biology and Spanish
- Participated in volunteer projects in Guatemala and Jamaica
- Earned a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree with distinction
Dane Miller – Class of 2013
- All-State Defensive End, two time Berks Defensive Lineman of the year, SV High School record holder for sacks in a career
- 4th in State shot put as a Junior, 4th in State discus as a Senior, 2nd in State indoor shot put and PIAA State Shot Put Champion as a senior, Berks County record holder in shot put
- Four time Academic All-Big Ten, Penn State Track & Field team captain, Graduated with double major in History and Religious Studies
- Six Time Big Ten throwing medalist; achieved the 7th furthest shot put throw in Penn State University history
- 2004 NCAA Qualifier, 2013 Senior USA Indoor National qualifier
- Trained Under Olympic Champion and leading sport scientist Doctor Anatoly Bondarchuk
- Trains numerous hard working and dedicated athletes striving to achieve their optimal level of sports performance at Garage Strength
Class of 2014
Charlie Gerhart – Class of 2014
- Schuylkill Valley Mathematics Teacher for 43 years. SVEA Union President and Chief Negotiator
- Mathematics Department Chairperson for 14 years
- SV Mathematics Team Coach for 22 years – County Championship in 2013
- Trig-Star Competition Coach for 13 years – 4 PA 1st place winners, 2 PA 2nd place winners, 1 National 6th place winner
- National Honor Society Advisor for 10 years
- Berks County Mathematics Championship Committee member for 23 years
- Served on the PSSA (PA System of School Assessment) Grade 11 Committee for 20 years
- Adjunct Professor for Reading Area Community College and Penn State Berks. Nominated for Adjunct Professor of the year in 2012
- School Board Member for Antietam School District for 10 years
Otis S Rothenberger – Class of 2014
- Two-Term Democratic Assemblymen in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Ontelaunee Vocational School Supervisor
- Principal of the Ontelaunee Township School for 33 years
- Educator for 45 years
- Chairman of the Schuylkill Valley School Authority
- Kutztown State College Director of the General Alumni Association
- Was member of the Boys Scouts of America for over 50 years earning the Silver Beaver Award
Steven Schell – Class of 2014
- 1968 Honors Graduate of Schuylkill Valley High School
- 1968 Outstanding Senior Male Athlete
- President of Student Council, Student Director of P-O-P, Class Play, Yearbook and Valette Staffs.
- B.S from Penn State University; M.Ed. from West Chester University; Principal’s Certification from University of Pennsylvania
- Worked at SV for 42 years as a Teacher, Middle School Principal, Athletic Director and Academic Enrichment Coordinator
- Coached football, wrestling and track & field at SV. Inducted into the Berks County Wrestling Hall of Fame
- Was the SV Advisor to the Junior Class, Senior Class, Academic Challenge, Science Olympiad, FBLA, Graduation Project and Yearbook
- Former Member, Treasurer and President of South Mountain YMCA
Dr. Jason Pennypacker – Class of 2014
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from Shippensburg University obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Biology/Pre-Medicine.
- Selected by the United States Navy into the Health Professions Scholarship Program.
- Graduated Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society status with a Doctorate of Medicine from the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA.
- Completed a General Surgery Internship, Michael & Myrtle Baker Research Fellowship in the Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation and a residency in Diagnostic Radiology at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA.
- Promoted by the Navy to Lieutenant Commander and assumed the roles of Assistant Department Head of Radiology, Director and Lead Interpreting Physician of Mammography/Women’s Imaging at the Naval Hospital in Bremerton, WA.
- Deployed to the Expeditionary Medical Facility Kuwait in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation New Dawn serving as the Department Head of Radiology and Military Liaison for Kuwaiti Host Nation radiology services.
- Upon completion of military service, completed a Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Fellowship at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA.
- Currently practices as an Interventional and Diagnostic Radiologist for Quantum Imaging and Therapeutic Associates, Harrisburg, PA.
Dr. Stephen Longenecker – Class or 2014
- While in high school served as Student Council President and participated in Panthers-on-Parade, Band and Wrestling
- During high school and college, swam, worked, coached and managed at the Bern Township Lion’s Club Swimming Association
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Albright College, followed by Temple University School of Medicine, Orthopedic Residency at Temple, and Fellowship in Joint Replacement at New England Baptist Hospital, Boston.
- Married Lisa (Scornavachi) in 1994. Blessed with children Stephen, Andrew and Mary; daughter-in-laws Rebecca and Maggie, and Granddaughter Eva.
- Baptized and confirmed at Christ Church, Glenside. Member of Atonement Lutheran Church having served as Council President.
- While on the Board of Directors, Co-organized the Berks County Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation’s Arthritis Walk for more than 10 years.
- Medical Director and part of the leadership team that developed Berks County’s first and only JCAHO certified Joint Care Center at Reading Hospital
- Part of a team that “restores lives” through treating arthritis and the orthopedic injuries of many friends, alumni and residents of the community he has lived in for more than 50 years.
Steven K. Kreider – Class of 2014
- 1975 graduate of Schuylkill Valley where he earned letters in football, basketball, baseball and track
- All-County in football, basketball and baseball in high school
- At Lehigh University he earned varsity letters in football, baseball and track
- In 1977 was a First Team Kodak All-America Wide Receiver (college division) and a member of the Division II National Champions at Lehigh University
- Played in the National Football League from 1979-1986 as a Wide Receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals. Won the 1982 Super Bowl XVI as a member of the Bengals
- Earned a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Lehigh University in 1979, MBA from University of Cincinnati in 1983 and a PhD from the University of Cincinnati in 1987.
- Earned a partnership at Miller, Anderson and Sherrerd in 1995
- Manager Director for Morgan Stanley since 1996
Leo DeSantis – Class of 2014
- Served for five years in the US Army Air Force, including three years in Italy during World War II.
- Completed a 4-year college degree from Kutztown State College in 2 ½ years, earning a BS in Secondary Education. Earned a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration from Temple University and a Doctoral Degree in Educational Administration from Lehigh University.
- Served as a History and Government teacher at Schuylkill Valley High School before being promoted to Assistant High School Principal and then High School Principal, a position he held for 14 years.
- Became the first Superintendent of Schuylkill Valley Schools in 1971 and served in this position for six years. During his tenure, he oversaw an upgrade of course curriculum, accreditation by the Middle State Association of Secondary Schools, a work-experience program and the expansion of the district’s athletic program.
- Served as president and member of the Muhlenberg School Board, president of the San Marco Society and a member of the Reading Public Museum Task Force. Was also a trustee of the Reading Area Community College where he chaired the Personnel Committee and served as Chair of the Board of Trustees.
- Was the co-chairman of the 1992 Columbus Quincentennial Celebration for Reading and Berks County.
- Authored and published a book of poems entitled Leo Speaks.
Class of 2015
Stuart Reese – Class of 2015
- Varsity student-athletes in three sports at SV – Football (captain), wrestling, and golf (captain).
- Schuylkill Valley High School Valedictorian in 1973.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude from Gettysburg College. Was Phi Beta Kappa and President of Beta Beta Beta (honorary biology fraternity).
- Earned an MBA from Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business. Graduated with High Distinction and was named an Edward Tuck Scholar.
- Married Betsy Garr (SVHS ’74) in 1976. Blessed with four children – Katharine, Elizabeth, Jillian and Thomas – as well as three sons-in-law and nine grandchildren.
- Chairman and CEO of the MassMutual Financial Group.
- Serves on the Boards of Leucadia (investment company) and Lahey Foundation (hospital and clinic). Serves on the advisory boards of The Appalachian Mountain Club and Faithcare (formerly Christian Medical Fellowship).
- Received an Honorary Doctorate in Humanics from Springfield College.
Robert A. “Bob” Jones – Class of 2015
- Long-time teacher and Social Studies Department Chair at Schuylkill Valley who also served as Junior Class Advisor, Student Council Advisor, and avid supporter of all SV activities.
- “Voice of the Panthers” for SV football for over 40 years. Established the Frost Bowl to celebrate the rivalry between SV and Hamburg.
- Announcer, Timer & Scorekeeper for SV Wrestling from the first home match in school history until the last match of the 2014-2015 season. He was the Assistant Tournament Director for all of the 20 Sectional wrestling tournaments held at SV.
- Strong community leader who was a member of the Leesport Zoning Hearing Board and the Borough Sewer Authority, serving as chairman for 19 years. Was also a long-time Judge of Elections.
- One of three founders of the Leesport Lock House Foundation, working tirelessly to ensure that the Lock House would be preserved and added to the historical registry.
- Submitted the application for Leesport to become a Bicentennial Community in 1976 and served as the celebration Co-Chairman. He was also Co-Chairman of the Leesport Sesquicentennial Celebration.
- Active member in his Lutheran faith, serving in many capacities including President of Trinity Lutheran Church Council and Trinity Joint Council.
- Lifetime member of the Penn State Alumni Association, member of the Nittany Lion Club, and Gold Leaf Member of the Berks County Interscholastic Athletic Association.
- Proudly served in the United States Army.
Toby Lentz – Class of 2015
- Graduated with Honors from the United States Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science in Ocean Engineering.
- Graduated with Honors from the Georgia Institute of Technology with a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, with a thesis on “Design and Testing of a Low Frequency, Water-Filled Sound Exposure Chamber.”
- Completed the United State Navy Nuclear Training and Prototype Program in Charleston, South Carolina and the Submarine Officer Basic Course in Groton, Connecticut.
- Served four (4) Tours on the USS Maine (SSBN-741) as the Chemistry and Radiological Controls Assistant and Tactical Systems Officer.
- Served as Engineering Instructor for the Prospective Nuclear Engineering Officer Program at the Trident Training Facility in Kings Bay, Georgia.
- Served as President and Committee Representative for Amelia Island Runners and for the Wolfson Children’s Challenge, an Ultra-marathon and relay event dedicated to raising funds to support Wolfson’s Children’s Hospital.
- Currently serves as Engineering Manager for Stellar Energy Americas, Inc., a custom design and fabrication company specializing in Modular Energy solutions.
LeRoy Seip – Class of 2015
- Graduated from Ontelaunee High School in 1951, Kutztown University in 1957 with a Bachelor of Science degree and Lehigh University in 1961 with a Master of Arts in History.
- Was a high school Social Studies teacher for 36 years without ever missing a day of class.
- Awarded the 1991 Salute to Teaching Award from the Pennsylvania Academy for the Profession of Teaching.
- Varsity Baseball Coach for 30 years, winning five (5) Berks County Championships and three (3) District III Championships.
- Member of the Muhlenberg High School Hall of Fame and the Berks County Chapter Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame (inducted in 1998).
- Served on the Leesport Borough Council for 30 years from 1965-1995.
- Past President and long-time member of the Rotary Club of Shoemakersville-Leesport.
- Member of the Schuylkill Valley School District Board of School Directors from 1995-2007.
Wayne Huey – Class of 2015
- Schuylkill Valley graduate who won the 1962 PIAA State Track & Field Championship in the Long Jump.
- Graduated from Pennsylvania State University with a degree in Industrial Engineering.
- Married to Judy Huey and together they have two children and five grandchildren.
- Worked for a variety of commercial banks reaching Executive Management positions in each organization. Was responsible for overseeing portfolios of large loans to businesses.
- Served as an officer and member of boards of directors for many non-profit organizations. Chaired the United Way fund drive for Lehigh County, Coordinated the fund-raising and implementation of a transitional housing unit in Reading and co-chaired a $16.5 million dollar fund-raising effort to build a new medical pavilion for Paoli Hospital.
- Serves on the Board of Directors for Royal Bank America and the Paoli Hospital Foundation, where he previously served as Chairman.
Lee Potteiger – Class of 2015
- 1941 Graduate of the Ontelaunee Vocational School where he served as Class President all four years and was the Commencement Speaker.
- McCann School of Business graduate with a degree in Accounting 1 & 2.
- Served in World War II and participated in the D-Day Invasion of Normandy. Also saw combat action in Italy, Northern France and Central Europe
- Military service resulted in a good conduct medal, 6 Bronze Stars and 1 Bronze Arrowhead
- Married to Anna Potteiger and blessed with three children
- Worked for 42 years in public accounting and owned his own accounting firm.
- Volunteered at Bethany Children’s Home for 17 years and Phoebe Village Gift Shop for 12 years. Received the Council for Health and Human Service Ministries Volunteer of the Year Award in 2000.
Class of 2016
Timothy S. Lash - Class of 2016
- While in high school, was Valedictorian, Student Council President, National Merit Scholar and member of the Marching Band as well as Swim and Basketball teams
- Joseph Wharton and Benjamin Franklin Scholar at the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business (B.S. Economics 1997)
- President of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and Executive Vice President of the Interfraternity Council at the University of Pennsylvania
- Associate in the High Yield Capital Markets and Telecom Investment Banking teams at Deutsche Bank Securities and author of the High Yield Weekly Update
- Head of Tech, Media and Telecom investing at Third Point LLC, overseeing investments worth over $4 billion
- Led Third Point’s first $1 billion investment in Yahoo!, successfully winning proxy contest to install new leadership and governance. The investment was Third Point’s first and only investment yielding over $1 billion in profits.
- Led Third Point’s investment $1 billion investment in Sony, leading a new wave of investor activism in Japan and highlighting the value of Sony’s Entertainment assets
- Member of the Board of Directors, Ception Therapeutics, sold to Cephalon for $500 million in 2010. The Company’s drug for the treatment of Eosinophilic Asthma was FDA approved in 2016.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Penske Business Media, owner of Deadline Hollywood, Variety and WWD trade publications.
- Tech, Media and Telecom Portfolio Manager at Hutchin Hill Capital
- Youth Soccer Coach in Darien, CT (8 years)
Elias A. Esposito - Class of 2016
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education for Chemistry and Biology from Kutztown University
- Masters of Secondary Education from Temple University
- Master of Arts in Chemistry Teaching from Miami of Ohio University
- Principals Certification and additional credits in Chemistry and Mathematics from Villanova University
- Chemistry and Mathematics Teacher at Schuylkill Valley High School for 17 years
- Participated in the National Science Foundation program in Chemical Equilibrium
- Coached the varsity track and cross-country teams and served as a Class Advisor
- Served as Assistant High School Principal then the High School Principal before organizing and starting the Schuylkill Valley Intermediate School serving as its first Principal
- Served in the US Army during the Korean Way attaining the rank of Sargent and Communications Chief
- Worked as a Testing Agent for the GED program at Reading Area Community College
Stella Strause - Class of 2016
- Attended the Ontelaunee Grange School until 11th grade when she was forced to quit school to take care of her younger siblings.
- Began working for the Schuylkill Valley School District in 1946 working part time in the Elementary School Cafeteria.
- Was appointed Supervisor of Food Services and Head Cook for the High School in 1961.
- Worked in the Schuylkill Valley School District Food Service Department for 50 years, only missing work for two (2) half days during her entire career.
- In 1995, received an Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives for 50 years of faithful service to the District
- Very active in the Bern Township PTA’s annual “Country Fair” fundraiser. Annually used over 60 pounds of ground beef to make hamburgers for the Fair and prepared a full course dinner meal which was served throughout the day.
- Embodied a positive outlook, dedication to her job, and love for children. Was often quoted as saying about Schuylkill Valley, “This is my home. This is my life.”
Craig Housenick - Class of 2016
- Schuylkill Valley graduate who played volleyball for four years and was active in P-O-P and local community theatre.
- In high school participated in Academic Challenge, SODAA, Chorus, Band, Mixed Ensemble and Senior County Chorus.
- Graduate of Susquehanna University Theatre Arts Major.
- Study abroad program at Lancaster University in the United Kingdom.
- Four-time Primetime Emmy Nominee for work on The Voice.
- Three Primetime Emmy win in 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016 for Outstanding Lighting Design and Direction for a Variety Series.
- Received an Alumni Award for Achievement from Susquehanna University in 201
Janelle Blankenship - Class of 2016
- Schuylkill Valley High School Valedictorian and Class President, Class of 1994
- Four-year varsity letter winner in three sports at Schuylkill Valley – field hockey (1st team all-county), basketball and soccer
- Ball State University full academic Whitinger Scholarship and National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics post-graduate scholarship
- Graduated with a B.S. in Finance from Ball State University with a 4.0 G.P.A.
- Four-year letter winner in Division 1 field hockey at Ball State University, with a 47-0 conference record, four conference championships and three trips to the NCAA Field Hockey Tournament , advancing to the Elite 8 twice
- GTE Academic All-American At Large 1st Team for all Female Sports (1997-1998)
- Graduated magna cum laude from Notre Dame Law School (2001), member of the Notre Dame Law Review and recipient of the Notre Dame Law School scholarship
- Equity Partner at Faegre Baker Daniels LLP law firm
Jessie Rowe - Class of 2016
- Health and PE teacher at Schuylkill Valley High School.
- Served as the school’s first girls’ basketball coach in 1960 when the girls’ game was played with six players.
- Coached numerous other female sports during her 34 year teaching career.
- Initiated the first Schuylkill Valley Girls Track & Field Invitational Meet, which was the first meet of its kind for females in the county
- Helped influence county administrators to conduct the first Berks girls basketball championship game in 1973.
- Organized and coached the first Duke Delucia girls basketball All-Star game.
- Had a basketball career coaching record of 169-42, with Schuylkill Valley winning a Division Championship or County Championship in 14 of her 17 year basketball coaching career.
- Retired from coaching in 1977, but continued to foster the development of female athletics until passing away in 2009
Class of 2017
Dennis Werner - Class of 2017
- Earned B.S degree from Penn State University in Physical Education/Health in 1967.
- All Berks County, All Berks County pitcher on Governor Mifflin County Championshi